Low website traffic? Try a new keyword strategy
Keywords?? What are those?! (In Suri’s voice from Black Panther).
Having a beautiful, functional website with affordable products/services and having few or no visitors can be sad.
As a business owner (small or big), one of the goals of delving into digital marketing is to increase online visibility. With the daily increase of new businesses, keeping up can be hard, but we assure you that by using effective strategies and tactics, you can keep up and possibly be ahead of your competitors.
The most important yet neglected strategy for increasing website traffic is the use of keywords.
What are keywords?
Keywords are words or phrases search engine algorithms use to match questions asked by online users to the best content.
Look at it this way.
When a potential customer goes to a search engine (like Google) for information/details about anything (say product or services), they type in words or phrases relating to what they need.
For instance, a customer looking for a dry cleaning service is likely to type “Dry cleaning service” or “Dry cleaning service around me”. These phases are called keywords.
Keywords bring up results pages that rank high in search results. To get to your potential customers, you need to think like them, i.e., think of possible keywords that would make your website pop up. In summary, you need to conduct keyword research.
What is keyword research?
Keyword research is the process of researching keywords that are driving search traffic to search engine result pages. Keyword research is also known as keyword analysis.
A common misconception about keyword research is that it is only important for search engine optimization (SEO). This, however, is false as keyword research is the foundation of all digital marketing practices. It explains where organic traffic comes from. Visit our blog for more information on digital marketing.
Keyword research is important as it allows you to understand your audience. This covers the questions they are asking and ways to answer those questions using a mix of keywords. Other benefits of conducting keyword research include:
- Keep up with marketing trends: Conducting keyword research keeps you up to date on current marketing trends and consumer behavior.
- Increased conversion: Keyword research allows your content to attract visitors and increase your conversation rate provided your content is engaging your audience.
- Time-saving: Keyword research points you in the direction of your potential customers so you don’t spend time creating content people will not search for.
Places to add keywords to your website.
You can add keywords to your website by including them in existing content or creating new content around them. To improve your website ranking, you can add keywords in:
- Page titles: Using keywords in your page titles is very effective because search engines pay attention to page titles. This will help them select your page when a search is conducted by a person.
- Meta description: A well-written meta description lets users know they have found what they are searching for. Therefore, you must include keywords in your meta description.
- Uniform Resource Locators (URLs): Adding keywords to your URL tells your search engine that your page contains information that users are searching for.
- Content: Creating content that is centered around your identified keywords makes your content more engaging. You should also use your keywords in headings.
How to perform keyword research.
The two basic steps in performing keyword research are:
Step 1: Create a list: Brainstorm on words or phrases that would describe your product, service, or the information you must share. This means putting yourself in the shoes of your targeted visitors.
Step 2: Streamline your list using a keyword research tool: Keyword research tools give you data on the list you have created in step 1. They tell you if the keyword is still active, how often the queries are used, and other relevant information that will bring your potential customer close to you.
Visit our blog post to check out our top 5 keyword research tools.